The principle of microwave disinfection

Microwave radiation is non-ionizing and does not cause any changes in the product after disconnection.


There are 2 damaging factors in the effect of microwave energy on microorganisms, fungus and spores.

  1. Thermal impact. Under the action of a microwave field, the water in the product and inside microorganisms is heated. Because there is more water in them than in the product, then they heat up more. At an average product temperature of 50 ° C, the temperature of microorganisms reaches 80 ° C.
  2. Electrical impulse impact. All living cells contain mitochondria. One of the main functions of mitochondria is the synthesis of ATP, a universal form of chemical energy in any living cell. There is an electrical charge on the mitochondrial membrane. The effect of an electromagnetic field on this charge at a certain shape of the radiation pulse causes damage to these membranes and, as a result, death of cell. In a conventional microwave, the pulses are sinusoidal and do not damage the membranes, so there is no sharp jump in field strength. For sterilization are used,specially formed pulses with a steep leading edge (i.e., with a sharp jump in field strength).