5 interesting facts about rubber pyrolysis
The number of cars around the world is growing rapidly, which means that the number of car tires that need to be recycled is also growing. At the turn of the century, the total weight of already unusable but unrecycled tires reached, according to a report from the European Tire Recycling Association (ETPA), 2.8 million tons in the US and 2.5 million tons in Europe. And this is a problem that can be solved using the pyrolysis method!
- In the process of pyrolysis, thermal decomposition of rubber products occurs, in particular, worn tires. Under conditions of controlled exposure to high temperature and lack of oxygen, these products decompose into substances with a lower molecular weight. Decomposition of a tire in its natural environment will take 150 years or more. During this process, toxic organic compounds will enter the soil, which negatively affects the environment. As a result of pyrolysis, no substances are formed that require further specialized disposal. All the components obtained as a result of pyrolysis can subsequently be used for their intended purpose, while in the process of pyrolysis at the installation for processing waste rubber and polymers by the pyrolysis method, which our company produces, the amount of emissions into the environment is zero, since all combustion products go to provide thermal energy pyrolysis process.
- Liquid pyrolysis oil can be used as heating oil. The pyrolysis liquid can also generate electricity. Based on the technological modes selected in the pyrolysis unit, it is possible to obtain a pyrolysis liquid of various fractions at the outlet, on which its further application will depend.
- Carbon black obtained as a result of pyrolysis has further industrial applications. It can be used as a component of various mixtures in the metallurgical industry, in enterprises for the production of building materials and paints and varnishes. Also, carbon black is used to make fuel briquettes.
- The product of thermal destruction of rubber is also gas. It can be directed to the operation of the pyrolysis unit itself, or it can again be used to generate electricity. Pyrolysis gas becomes fuel for thermogenerators and burners.
- In the metallurgical industry, metal cord formed as a result of pyrolysis is also used. It is used directly in metal melting.
Thus, pyrolysis is not only an ecological way of recycling rubber, but also allows the production of electricity and heat energy in an alternative way.